Checking Peace of Mind
Our checking account options are designed to make managing your finances easy. Our Basic Checking offers hassle-free banking and our Reward Checking account offers high dividends with no minimum balance and no monthly service fee.
Simplify Your Banking with No Minimum Balance or Fees
Our Basic Checking is the perfect account for those who want the essentials without any unnecessary fees or requirements.
- No Minimum Deposit to Open
- Free Debit Card
- Free Electronic Bill Pay
- Online Banking
- Access Audio Response by dialing (844) 874-7981
- Overdraft Protection Available
Open a Reward Checking Account
You could start earning 3.25% APY* by simply
- Making 15 Debit Card transactions per month**
- Accessing your Online Banking – monthly
- Signing up to receive eStatements
- Providing a valid email address
GET MORE FROM YOUR CHECKING
- No Minimum Balance
- No Monthly Service Fee
- Free Debit Card
- Free Electronic Bill Pay
- Online Banking
- Access Audio Response by dialing (844) 874-7981
- Overdraft Protection Available
Small Change Savings Adds Up
Are you looking for an easy way to tuck away a little extra cash each month?
Your Credit Union has the solution – Raise and Save. Here’s how it works.
- At the end of each day, your debit card purchases are raised to the nearest dollar
- Change is deposited to the savings, money market or club account of your choice
- Convenient set-it-and-forget-it savings that can add up over time
Mobile banking eAlert subscription offers a convenient way to stay informed about financial activities directly on your mobile devices.
By subscribing to eAlerts, users can receive real-time notifications and updates regarding:
- Account balances
- Transaction alerts
- Deposit confirmations
- Payment reminders and more.
These alerts can be customized according to individual preferences and sent via email, SMS, or push notifications through the mobile banking app.Enable eAlerts
With our busy lives, it’s easy to make mistakes such as forgetting to deposit a check, make a transfer, or deduct your last debit charge from your balance. A simple error or balance miscalculation can lead to an unexpected shortage of funds.
Have peace of mind knowing your checking account is covered when the unexpected happens. Your choices for Overdraft Protection include:
- Savings Transfer
- Overdraft Privilege
Choose which option works best for you!
Add Overdraft Protection to Your Accounts
Set up Overdraft Protection Transfer from another eligible Labor CU Share Account. In the event of an overdraft, available funds will be automatically transferred to your checking account to cover the overdraft.
- Transfer Limits – up to three (3) per month for Money Market.
Even if you have Overdraft Protection, Overdraft Privilege is still available as additional coverage if your other protection sources are exhausted. Overdraft Privilege is not a Line of Credit; however, if you inadvertently overdraw your account, we will have the discretion to pay the overdraft, subject to your Overdraft Privilege.
- These options apply to checks and ACH transactions, and Labor CU can only pay overdrafts for ATM or everyday debit card transactions if you have given us consent to extend coverage for payment of these overdrafts.
- We will charge you a fee of up to $30 a maximum of three (3) times per day each day we pay an overdraft if your account is overdrawn more than $50.
We will not charge you a fee if your account is overdrawn by $50 or less on any given day.
- There is a maximum of 3 Overdraft Fees and NSF fees per day on the total fees we charge you for overdrawing your account.
- You have a maximum of 45 days to bring the account back to positive status.
How to Opt In
If you would like to select this Overdraft Privilege Extended Coverage to cover ATM and everyday debit card transactions, simply complete this Opt In Consent Form and:
- Mail to PO Box 51, Merrifield, VA 22116
Return in person to one of our branch locations
- Email your request to Opt In
- Call or text us your request to Opt In to (202) 789-2901.
Accounts will be charged the standard Overdraft fee of $30 for handling (3) overdrafts created by check, ACH, Point-of-Sale, ATM withdrawal, in-person withdrawal, or other electronic item that is paid and $30 for items returned. An overdrawn balance must be repaid within 45 days. We may not pay items under your Overdraft Privilege if you do not maintain your account in good standing by bringing your account to a positive balance within every forty-five (45) day period for a minimum of 24 hours, if you default on any loan or other obligation to Labor Credit Union or if your account is subject to any legal or administrative order or levy.
If an item is returned because the available balance in your account is not sufficient to cover the item and the item is presented for payment again, Labor CU will charge a return item fee each time it returns the item because it exceeds the available balance in your account. If, on presentment of the item, the available balance in your account is sufficient to cover the item Labor CU may pay the item, and, if payment causes an overdraft, charge an overdraft fee.
WHAT ELSE YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT THE OVERDRAFT PRIVILEGE PROGRAM
A link to another account or a line of credit may be a less expensive option than an overdraft. A single larger overdraft will result in just one fee, as opposed to multiple smaller overdrafts. Good account management is the best way to avoid overdrafts. Use our mobile banking, internet banking, and telephone banking services to keep track of your balance. For additional financial education resources, please visit www.mymoney.gov.
- The $30 Overdraft Fee that is charged if you overdraw your account more than $50 is the same fee amount that is charged if an item is returned as unpaid. If multiple items overdraw your account on the same day, we will only charge three (3) Overdraft Fees or an NSF Fee of $30 per day. All fees and charges will be included as part of the Overdraft Privilege limit amount. Your account may become overdrawn more than the Overdraft Privilege limit amount because of a fee.
- Recipients of federal or state benefits payments who do not wish us to deduct the amount overdrawn and the Overdraft Fee from funds that you deposit or that are deposited into your account may call us at (202) 789-2901 to discontinue Overdraft Privilege.
- If an item is returned because the Available Balance in your account (as defined below) is not sufficient to cover the item and the item is presented for payment again, Labor CU (“We”) will charge an NSF Fee each time it returns the item because it exceeds the Available Balance in your account.
Because we may charge an NSF Fee each time an item is presented, we may charge you more than one fee for any given item as a result of a returned item and representment of the item. When we charge an NSF Fee, the charge reduces the Available Balance in your account and may put your account into (or further into) overdraft. If, on representment of the item, the Available Balance in your account is sufficient to cover the item we may pay the item, and, if payment causes an overdraft, charge an Overdraft Fee.
- For consumer accounts, there is a limit of $90 Overdraft Fees (3) per day we will charge. We will not charge an Overdraft Fee if a consumer account is overdrawn by $50 or less. These exceptions do not apply to business accounts.
Our general policy is to post items throughout the day and to post credits before debits. We post checks, ACH debits, ATM and debit card transactions in the order in which they are received. However, because of the many ways we allow you to access your account, the posting order of individual items may differ from these general policies. Holds on funds (described herein) and the order in which transactions are posted may impact the total amount of Overdraft Fees or NSF Fees assessed.
- Overdraft Privilege is not a line of credit; it is a discretionary overdraft service that can be withdrawn at any time without prior notice.
- Depositor and each Authorized Signatory will continue to be liable, jointly and severally, for all overdraft and fee amounts, as described in the Deposit Account Agreement and Disclosure. The total (negative) balance, including all fees and charges, is due and payable upon demand.
We may be obligated to pay some debit card transactions that are not authorized through the payment system but which we are required to pay due to the payment system rules, and as a result you may incur fees if such transactions overdraw your account. However, we will not authorize debit card or ATM transactions unless your account’s Available Balance (including Overdraft Coverage Options) is sufficient to cover the transactions and any fee(s).
Giving us your consent to pay everyday debit card and ATM overdrafts on your consumer account (Extended Coverage) may result in you incurring Overdraft Fees for transactions that we would otherwise be required to pay without assessing an Overdraft Fee. However, this would allow us to authorize transactions up to the amount of your Overdraft Privilege limit. If you consent to Extended Coverage on your consumer account, it will remain on your account until it is otherwise withdrawn.
- The NSF/Overdraft fee is assessed based on the available balance in your account at the time the transaction settles to your account, and NOT based on the available balance at the time you authorize the transaction.
- Merchant transactions could take up to 7 days to settle to your account, which could cause additional overdrafts if funds are removed from your account prior to the pre-authorized transaction settling.
UNDERSTANDING YOUR AVAILABLE BALANCE:
Your account has two kinds of balances: the Ledger Balance and the Available Balance.
We authorize and pay transactions using the Available Balance.
- Your Ledger Balance reflects the full amount of all deposits to your account as well as payment transactions that have been posted to your account. It does not reflect checks you have written and are still outstanding or transactions that have been authorized but are still pending.
- Your Available Balance is the amount available to you to use for purchases, withdrawals, or to cover transactions. The Available Balance is your Ledger Balance, less any holds due to pending debit card transactions and holds on deposited funds.
The balance used for authorizing checks, ACH items, and recurring debit card transactions is your Available Balance plus the amount of the Overdraft Privilege limit and any available Overdraft Protection.
The balance used for authorizing ATM and everyday debit card transactions on accounts with Standard Coverage is your Available Balance plus any available Overdraft Protection but does NOT include the Overdraft Privilege limit. The balance used for authorizing ATM and everyday debit card transactions on accounts with Extended Coverage is your Available Balance plus any available Overdraft Protection and includes the Overdraft Privilege limit.
Because your Available Balance reflects pending transactions and debit holds, your balance may appear to cover a transaction but later upon settlement it may not be sufficient to cover such transaction. In such cases, the transaction may further overdraw your account and be subject to additional overdraft fees. You should assume that any item which would overdraw your account based on your Available Balance may create an overdraft. Note that we may place a hold on deposited funds in accordance with our Deposit Account Agreement and Disclosure, which will reduce the amount in your Available Balance.
- Please be aware that the Overdraft Privilege amount is not included in your Available Balance provided through online banking, mobile banking or Labor CU’s ATMs.
- We will place a hold on your account for any authorized debit card transaction until the transaction settles (usually within two business days) or as permitted by payment system rules. In some cases, the hold may exceed the amount of the transaction. When the hold ends, the funds will be added to the Available Balance in your account. If your account is overdrawn after the held funds are added to the Available Balance and the transaction is posted to the Available Balance, an Overdraft Fee may be assessed.
Except as described herein, we will not pay items if the Available Balance in your account (including the Overdraft Privilege limit, if applicable) is not sufficient to cover the item(s) and the amount of any fee(s).
We may suspend your debit card if we are unable to contact you due to an incorrect mailing address or phone number(s), or for fraud. You must contact us with your correct mailing address and/or phone number(s) to have your debit card reinstated.
- We will charge a fee of $10 to reactivate your debit card if we suspend your debit card.
- If your debit card is suspended, you will be unable to use your debit card(s) for purchases or to access your account(s) associated with the debit card(s) at the ATM while your debit card is suspended. If you use your debit card for recurring payments, e.g., utilities, you are responsible to make other arrangements for your recurring debit payment(s).
UNDERSTANDING OVERDRAFT PRIVILEGE LIMITS
An Overdraft Privilege limit of $1,000 will be granted to eligible consumer checking accounts opened at least 30 days in good standing.
- Overdraft Privilege may be reduced if you default on any loan or other obligation to us, your account becomes subject to any legal or administrative order or levy, or if you fail to maintain your account in good standing by not bringing your account to a positive balance within 45 days for a minimum of one business day.
- You must bring your account balance positive for at least one business day to have the full Overdraft Privilege limit reinstated.
Card Security is a Priority
We understand the urgency of addressing concerns related to debit and credit card fraud, lost or stolen cards, and PIN changes. For immediate assistance, please use the following contact information:
Live Agents 24/7
Report a lost/stolen card:
When traveling internationally, report a lost/stolen card:
To report fraud or dispute a transaction:
To respond to a fraud notification:
PIN CHANGE / CARD ACTIVATION
Change Card PIN to your selected PIN from any touch-tone phone:
Activate your card using a touch-tone phone:
Debit Card Call Center 24/7 Support
(866) 207-9154 (International)
Our dedicated teams are available to provide prompt support and ensure the security of your accounts. Additionally, our online resources offer helpful information and tips to proactively safeguard your financial well-being.
At Labor Credit Union, your security is our priority. For further assistance or inquiries, please contact our Call Center at (202) 789-2901.
For additional details about our Checking Accounts, email, visit a branch, text or call a Labor CU Financial Wellness Advisor at (202) 789-2901.Meet Your Financial Wellness Team
*APY = Annual Percentage Yield and is accurate as of publication date. Minimum opening deposit to earn rewards $25.00. Fees may reduce earnings Reward Checking program fees, rates and features are subject to change without notice. Members meeting all of Rewards program criteria receive a refund of all foreign ATM fees.
**The 15 transactions must be posted before month-end.